Monday, September 14, 2009

Monday Recipe: Weight Watcher Beef Stew

Hello everyone this is a recipe I am trying for the first time today it is from
Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook published in 1998
I'll post my notes by the pictures then the recipe at the end.


This pic is just a lil tip I got from watching the food network~ place your cutting board over a damp paper towel to keep the cutting board from slipping.


The beginning of the recipe calls for minced carrots so I cut my time by starting with carrot strings I had in the fridge for salads and nuc cham... always handy to keep on hand.



minced carrots. onion, celery



I used a family 3 pack of some steak I got on sale a few weeks back and had in the freezer... buy 1 pack get 2 packs free couldn't beat that.





forgot to take a pic of the tomatoes I just used a cup of canned chopped tomatoes this pic shows everything in pot for first 45 min simmer.





I was running short on time so I gave the potatoes and carrots a fine cube so they would cook faster.  I use a big spatula to move things from the cutting board into bowls ~really makes things easier.
I also couldn't find pearl onions frozen or therwise at the market so I used 3/4 of a medium sweet onion.



Everything in pot for second cooking of 40 minutes but only took me 25 because of smaller cube on the vegg



The last ingredients- the recipe calls for fresh herbs I didn't have them - I cut the mint in half to 1/2 TBSdried  and it was just a tad too much I would suggest starting out with 1/2 tsp of the dried mint if that is what you have on hand and then go up from there according to taste because dried mint is really really dense in taste and can overwhelm a recipe easily.



Final verdict is very good both my husband and I would deffinitly eat this again and look forward to getting the mint ratio right.  If anyone knows the equivalent of 1TBS fresh to dried I'd appreciate ya leaving a note in the comments.
Hope you enjoy.
What are you cooking today?





BEEF STEW
MAKES 4 SERVINGS
4 teaspoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon minced onion
1 Tablespoon minced carrot
1 Tablespoon minced celery
1 pound beef round cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
1 cup chopped canned plum tomatoes with juice
1/2 cup dry wed wine
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried leaves
1 bay leaf
Salt and Freshly ground black pepper to taste
8 frozen pearl onions
(**TIP if you can't find frozen pearl onions, use fresh but you'll have to peel them**)
2 carrots peeled and cut into 1"chunks
4 medium potatoes peeled and cut into 1" cubes
1 cup thawed frozen peas
1 Tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
1 Tablespoon minced mint

  1. In a medium nonstick Dutch oven or heavy saucepan , heat the oil.  Saute` the minced onion, carrot and celery until translucent, 5-6 minutes.  Add the beef and saute` untill browned, about 5 minutes.  Add the tomatoes, wine, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer gently, partly covered, stirring occassionally about 45 minutes.


  2. Add the pearly onions, carrots, potatoes and 1 cup hot water.  Cook covered 40 minutes


  3. Stir in the peas; cook 4 minutes then add the parsley and mint and cook 1 minute longer.  Discard the bay leaf.

NUTRITION PER SERVING
356 Calories, 8g total Fat, 2g Sat Fat, 51 mg Cholesterol, 511 mg sodium, 41 g total carbohydrate, 7 g dietary fiber, 25 g protein, 75 mg calcium.

4 comments:

  1. Oh that looks good, Ranae! I'm trying to collect up some stew and soup recipes for this winter. They are my favorite meals in cold weather! I've never tried mint in a stew, so that will be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how you like it RoseMary. It is good the next day too we had it for lunch I put the rest of the can of tomatoes in a frying pan with about a cup of water and when that came to a boil I added the left over stew and in about 10 minutes it was all heated through yum yum

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! Yummy tummy!

    Rima
    www.yarnydays.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems so delicious. Thanks for the recipe.
    This is something to try in weekend. I'll reply shortly.
    Its a mouthwatering recipe.

    sante

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by I appreciate the visit and love to hear your thoughts. I hope u have a great day.
RaNae from
Ewe Creek Cottage