Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Recipe Bean n Corn Burritos Meatless Main Dish

This recipe comes from : The Low-Fat Way To Cook
Published by Oxmoor House a division of Southern Progress Corporation
Published in 1993
So I am thinking it was offered by Southern Living I used to have a subscription with them during that time and this I either ordered or it was a gift .
I'd like to say when I post my recipes I do so in a manner as if I was trying to impart what small amount of knowledge I have to a novice cook or my teenage neice,
hoping that they learn lil tidbits alot earlier than I did.
See my Father raised me and my husband taught me the basics after that- then I stumbled around for years till I found
 The Food Network
and I have learned so much from all the shows there.
Thank You Food Network I love you... giggle.
Bean and Corn Burritos
Yummy we -well I- have been making this for years and it is a repeat request in our house.  This recipe introduced me to Cilantro well I should say it started my love affair with the herb and it is a must for this recipe.


A Reenie Tip for moving chopped items into a bowl or pan don't rush out and by a pastry scraper or some other gadget use the largest spatula  you have on hand... saves time and your knife blade - not good for your knife to scrape along the cutting board especially if it is resin or glass.

A Reenie Tip  when cutting or chopping peppers place the shinny side on the cutting board this way your knife won't slip
I mash the beans with a potato masher


place your mixture near the edge

Grab tuck tight and roll

I made a double batch so we would have some for lunch tomorrow
both tortillas are carb smart but one is whole grain- mine
I forgot to put the cheese on the inside so I sprinkeled some on the outside and it looks like more than was actually used.  I used a colby jack



topped with salsa, sour cream and cilantro yummy
Hope you enjoy



INGREDIENTS
Preheat oven to 425
4 servings
355 Calories per serving


Vegetable Cooking Spray(I use EVOO)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 teaspoon minced pickled jalapeno pepper
1 clove garlic minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
1(16oz) can light red kidney beand, drained rinsed and mashed
1/2 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed and drained
4 (8-inch) flour tortillas
3/4 cup (3oz) shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar Cheese ( i used colby-jack)
1 cup comercial medium salsa
1/4 cup nonfat sour cream alternative (we use real just not that much) **have you ever noticed how the alternative won't wash off your serving wear or whatever can you immagine what it takes to get it out of your body??**
Jalapeno pepper slices (optional)
Fresh Cilantro Sprigs(optional) but really enhances it
Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat until hot. Add onion, green pepper, jalapeno pepper, and garlic; saute until tender, Stir in cumin and white pepper. Cook 1 minute stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in mashed beans and corn.

Place desired amount of bean mixture in tortilla, sprinkle cheese over that roll up tortillas and place seam side down on a backing sheet. Bake at 425 for 7 to 8 minutes or untill thoroughly heated.

Top each burrito with salsa, sour cream and garnish with jalapeno slices and cilantro sprigs.



(if done according to directions) Fat 7.8g Protein 18.5 Carb 57.1g Fiber 5.4g Cholesterol 14mg Sodium 316mg


Linking to 

THURSDAY


FRIDAY

SUNDAY




2 comments:

  1. Sounds and looks great! I'm a huge cilantro fan since Rachael Ray introduced it to me in her recipe for Pico de Gallo...Love that stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, Ranae. Thanks for sharing this~I love the fact that they are meatless, too. It's a little different than what I've made, so I'll be trying this one. I think the corn inside of them will be really good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by I appreciate the visit and love to hear your thoughts. I hope u have a great day.
RaNae from
Ewe Creek Cottage