Friday, April 27, 2012

Restaurant Food Friday At Home

Vietnamese Bun Salad with Chicken

Since moving to the DFW  area 6 years ago we have tried many different ethnic food restaurants and found that we really love Vietnamese Food but our favorite is far away and with gas prices the way they are well to be frugal  I have learned  to cook some of our favorite meals myself here at home.
Today it is Vietnamese Bun Salad- my version with Chicken
I made 2 servings
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
U will need 2 cooked Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
Teriakki (sp??) Marinade
I buy 2-3 family packs of boneless skinless chicken thighs at a time marinate them in terriakki and bake them off in the oven after they have cooled I  then freeze them in lunch bags and into a big freezer bag  in freezer to pull out and use throughout the month in different recipes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • 2 cooked boneless skinless chicken thighs sliced
  • 1/4 cup Korean BBQ Sauce
warm your previously cooked chicken through in a nonstick pan with the korean bbq sauce

FINE (size/diameter of noodle itself) Rice Vermicelli noodles  -1 package

cooked/ boiled like spaghetti drained and then placed in a bowl of ice water this keeps them from drying out until your ready to add to salad bowl

**THE FOLLOWING gets placed into your salad bowl 
  • cucumber - 1/2 Peeled and seeded and sliced into thin  strips divided between 2 servings
  • fresh bean sprouts- rinsed and dried off 1 cup per serving
  • Lettuce- I like Romaine cut into thin slices about 1  cup per serving
  • Carrots- 1 peeled and sliced into thin strips divided between 2 servings
  • each serving gets a sliced radish
**The peanuts scallions and basil are last to go on the salad like garnishing
  • chopped peanuts- 1/2 cup divided between servings
  • Green Scallions - 1 chopped divided between servings
  • Fresh Basil

drain off the amount of noodles from the cold water bath that u want to use in each salad I like a tad more than a cup my husband is a bike rider he is 2+ cups of noodles add these to the bowls on top of your vegetables add the chicken on top of the noodles and garnish with the peanuts basil and scallion
THEN
Pour over your Nuoc Cham (see below)
and enjoy

Nuoc Cham below




  • Nuoc Cham / prepared fish sauce I buy ours already prepared at vietnamese grocery if u can't find it-  here is an easy recipe ( nuoc cham recipe ) 1/2 cup per salad serving
  • garlic chili paste1/4  to  1/2 tsp mixed into your 1/2 cup nuoc cham to kick up the heat






  • Well I hope you will give this a try if not at home then venture out to a vietnamese restaurant or a noodle restaurant or a pho noodle restaurant and give it a try if its on their menu .
    xoxo RaNae

    I am linking to the party at
    5 Days 5 Ways

    five days five ways  feature friday free for all



    Visit My 1929 Charmer Blog!

    5 comments:

    1. I love Vietnamese food, and this sounds delish. I love to cook and this sounds so very doable. Thanks for sharing the link on how to make your own nuoc chan recipe, I like to make things from scratch. My fingers are crossed you might share this fab recipe at Sunday's Best tomorrow night! www.my1929charmer.com

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hi Cathy that is so cool that u love vietnamese food it is delish and not overly high in calories when we go to a restaurant we usually get a fresh spring roll also. Thanks so much for the invite to your party I would love u but am going to email u I have a couple questions.
      Thanks for stopping by.
      RaNae

      ReplyDelete
    3. Well glad to see you made it over to the party, made me so happy. I am definitely going to make this since I love Vietnamese food so very much. This will be great to make whenever I have the taste no Vietnamese restaurants around me! So glad you shared the recipe. On I so love that deer, looks so much better than before pic! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration over at Sunday's Best! PS - now following you on GFC!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks for following me so glad to have found your blog I hope u have a great day
        RaNae

        Delete
    4. sorry don't know how I got that sentence in there about the deer - not a good way to start the day!

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for taking the time to stop by I appreciate the visit and love to hear your thoughts. I hope u have a great day.
    RaNae from
    Ewe Creek Cottage