Friday, May 11, 2012

Kitchen Counter ReDo

We have owned our house 6 and a half years and 2 years ago my husband declared he hated our standard builders white laminite countertops.  We shopped and priced granite but I always like to go DIY first so I came across this system.
Giani Granite Paint For Countertops and we decided to give it a try We had to go to Oklahoma City to buy it. Total cost on all our supplies sand paper tape cleaning stuff etc  including the drive up to OKC was around $280.00.   We got the Sicilian Sand kit.  I read up on it for days and watched videos on You Tube (I linked to the giani videos)I did practice items- tissue boxes  and paper... well the prep was hard the whole project is time consuming because of sanding and  drying time  The basics are in the pictures below.  I will say getting your pattern or non pattern is difficult on a large flat surface.  I actually added craft paint & the copper in my counters is actually metallic copper craft paint by plaid (said on the website or  the paper work some people have done that added craft paint)

So the biggest problem we had was with the sealer coat that giani provides- for days after it dried it would bubble up when it got wet- all the way down the layers... can't have that on a working kitchen counter... don't know if they changed up that formula or addressed it we never contacted them about it we just went out and got marine grade verathane and did 3 coats of that.  Now I would only do 2 if I were to do it again but dh was heavily involved at this point and well sometimes u gotta pick your battles 3 coats won out- it has yellowed a bit but it gives it a warmth.
My white sink we bought from a friend for 40$ they decided against putting it in their house.. their loss imho

















LINKING TO 
         five days five ways  feature friday free for all

14 comments:

  1. Wow! What a difference! I love your faucet. Thanx for joining THT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful ReNae!! I need to go find this paing for real! That is amaaaaaaaaaaazing!

    I created a blogroll page with you on it! Thank you for listing my blog on yours.
    Here it is
    http://www.thenaturalwomantoday.com/search/label/My%20Blog%20Roll

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Thanks Tonya Hope u have a great Mothers Day

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a transformation! They look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Thanks Miss Jen that means a lot coming from a professional such as yourself. Hope you have a great Mothers day.

      Delete
  4. Wow, that really came out nice. Saved a bundle of money too I bet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy the entire cost was about $280.00 including the trip to OKC

      Delete
  5. That's incredible! I think this is my favorite giani paint job that I've seen. I love the veins and shimmer you added.

    Thank's for linking up with What's Cluckin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks amazing. I am hoping to do this in my kitchen sometime this year. Hope it turns out as great as yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karla I know your will turn out great I love what u did with your office I enjoy your blog thanks for stopping by and the sweet words.
      RaNae

      Delete
  7. It looks wonderful I love this product. I did my several months ago now and they still look as good as day one I'm very impressed with this stuff it's awesome! You did a great job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way your turned out Jenae and I bet they are even more precious in person. Really love your blog and your fur babies.
      RaNae

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by I appreciate the visit and love to hear your thoughts. I hope u have a great day.
RaNae from
Ewe Creek Cottage