Saturday, May 19, 2012

Oven Fried Eggplant Parmesan

Well I am sure not many of y'all know this but I am of half Italian Herritage- I know I look Irish or German but those only play a minor part lol.  My Mom God Rest Her Soul was a first generation Italian American- meaning my Grandparents were Immigrants through Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty in the very late 1800's considering my Mom was born here  in  America in 1919 and was in the middle of 9 siblings.
So with all that I got the Italian Cooking Gene lol.
Now my Moms eggplant parmesan is the best!!!   She would season it and bread it and fry it in olive oil then layer it in baking dishes swamped in marinara and 3 different cheeses-i.e. mozzarella, smoky provolone and parmesan and it would come out this steaming ooey gooey comforting tangy melt in your mouth slice of heaven.
Well I love the stuff and the stuff loves my hips... her way.
What I have done here is lighten it up- less cheese and  no frying in oil instead I oven fry them and frankly they turn out pretty darn good b carful though u can over do it with these- they are almost like veggie pizza sliders- U can fold em up and eat em like lil pizzas lol- one right after the other YIKES lol
mmm mmm good
I hope u enjoy


U will need 1-2 eggplants 
(the rest of the ingredients are in a couple pictures a couple below)
Wash and dry them
I leave skin on I grew up having it that way
Slice them evenly
this never happens for me LOL I end up with one pan of thick slices and one of thin slices
I toss my slices in lemon juice ( so they don't brown)
 then 
place paper towels down on your sheet pans and salt your eggplant slices on both sides to draw the moisture out of them let them sit for 1-2 hours


u will need 2-3 large eggs beaten
parmesan cheese
red pepper 
black pepper
either plain breadcrumbs and your own italian seasoning herbs 
or
italian bread crumbs
(I had only plain bread crumbs so I used italian seasoning)
Spray oil 
(I like to use olive but was out and used canola)
U will also need jarred or home made marinara of your choosing and fresh mozzarella cheese I use pearls pictured a couple below


Mix ya up a bowl of bread crumbs italian seasoning black pepper a dash of red pepper and parmesan cheese

Pre Heat your oven to 375
Stick 2 heavy duty sheet pans in to heat up
dry your egg plant slices  separate thick and thin slices onto 2 separate plates and then get out a heated sheet pan (b careful- been there done that) spray the pan and then in a quick manner dip your THICK slices one by one into the egg and then into the bread crumb mixture  (all thick slices hit one pan and thin slices on the other) once the pan is filled spray the tops of each slice with your spray oil- pop them into the oven and start on your pan os thin slices in the same manner as stated.


at this point I get out my mozza pearls and set them into a bowl so they come to room temp they melt easier 



when your slices look like this turn them over give the other side a light spray and pop back in till the other side looks like this then....

take them out spoon a lil marinara on each with some mozza pearls and pop them back into the oven till the cheese melts


and   VOILA  BELLISSIMA


this is my husbands plate he has hollow legs and bikes 150 miles a week
That is cappelini with vodka sauce







This recipe was Featured
TY Miss Pamela








Linking to                                                               

THURSDAY


FRIDAY

SUNDAY




14 comments:

  1. Wow that looks amazing thanks for sharing @CountryMommaCooks...followin' ya' right back : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by Deana I enjoyed hopping around your linky party this weekend.

      Delete
  2. OH WOW! These look so YUMMY!! I am bookmarking this recipe.

    Visiting from It's overflowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice of you to stop by Tina glad the Eggplant Parm interests you - it's yummy cold to but I think it is a "problem" food for me now that I made it healthy lol- noticed I ate em like popcorn this weekend. lol

      Delete
  3. That looks delicious and I think I may had ego make some for my family. Thanx for linking up to THT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pamela Thank you for coming by each week I link up and leaving such sweet notes I know how busy you are and you taking that time means a lot. If u get around to making it let me know how u liked it.
      RaNae P.S. ty for hosting a great linky each week

      Delete
  4. This looks yummy, I will have to give it a go!

    http://whatkimmididnext.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi I just visited your blog and left u a note on the cool clutch u just got belated Happy Birthday btw so curious as to how u found my blog but so glad you did yours is sooo cute and I want that Skull LOL... and the clutch

      Delete
  5. Why, oh why, did I sit down to view this post this close to dinner time?!! I can almost smell the delicious aroma filtering right through the computer screen. How did you know that Italian dishes are my favorite? ;)

    Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday again this week, RaNae. And thanks for sharing that yummy sounding recipe.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz ty so much for taking the time to write such a great note it made my day I hope u like the EP Parm if u make it it is real yumm and a great fiber source too btw. I love your parties ty so much for hosting I don't know if I will get to post this coming week my inlaws are coming the first weekend in June so I am spring cleaning and between that and cooking and excercizing in the pool I haven't been out of t shirts and shorts and bathing suits and haven't had the time to make anything ;-(
      oh I have another recipe post stashed I'll post that... all is good
      Thanks again
      RaNae

      Delete
  6. This looks delicious RaNae! So much better than frying.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dee it is good let me know if you try it.
    Have a good holiday weekend
    RaNae

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is delicious! Look forward to trying this...

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is great I have an eggplant on the counter waiting to be made up lol
    Thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by I appreciate the visit and love to hear your thoughts. I hope u have a great day.
RaNae from
Ewe Creek Cottage