Thursday, August 9, 2012

Recipe Spaghetti Squash Tomato Pasta Bake

















OOh boy is this Spaghetti Squash Tomato Bake good the kicker is I made a hummus pesto and added it to the spaghetti squash so you are treated to the beautiful flavors of whole grain pasta kissed by basil and pecorino romano and the marriage of the sweet warm juicy tomatoes topped by a mozzarella, parmesan layer with Panko crumbs as its crowning glory.  Did I mention the spaghetti squash with the Basil Hummus hidden within- giving u a great protein kick.  I have to also tell you that for all the ingredients u would think it was a "heavy" meal but it turns out quite light I think because there is only 1 pasta layer and the cheeses are flavorful but not a massive amount is used- just 1 sparse layer inside and 1 light layer on top- I was pleasantly surprised.  I freakin love this meal I could eat it over and over again.... but I am half italian lol.

I cooked my spaghetti squash in the microwave over the weekend as a meal and it was a big one obviously enough for two full meals.  I served it  with a basil hummus that  I added to it- I took about 1.5 cups of cooked cici beans(cooked from raw can use canned)
and a couple big handfuls of fresh basil- added some EVOO and pecorino that I had on hand and of course a bit of red pepper whipped it up in the food processor then mixed it into the squash and voila this is what u have



Half of that goes into a 13x 9 sprayed baking dish on the bottom it is a nice thin even layer


I cooked up the 3 different kinds of  1/4 bags of pasta I had laying around



I sliced up 5 super size roma tomatoes (so big the lady at the checkout commented on them so u may need more than 5) I placed them in the hot pasta water for 5 minutes to kinda pre cook them without sauteing 
thought of that after this mess HERE
then I drained them and got to layering
Pre Heat oven to 350

tomatoes over spaghetti squash


this is 2% finely shredded mozzarella 


next your only layer of pasta (all whole grain organic) 

The rest of the spaghetti squash is next

then the last layer of tomatoes pour in 1/4 cup pasta water and then cover with foil and pop into oven for 45 minutes




When u pull it out it doesn't look much different than when it went in lol but if u use a glass pan like I do u can see it bubbling at the bottom


top with 2% finely shredded mozzarella and sprinkle with parmesan

top with about a cup of panko bread crumbs mixed with 1 TBS Olive oil- mix them good to distribute the oil through the crumbs
Pop back into the oven for an additional 10 minutes 
then maybe a few minutes under the broiler like I did to ....

end up with this


*Note this recipe isn't as easy as most of mine seem to be but it is not difficult by any means it just has alot of steps
*Note this is a picture heavy and explanation heavy post the reason is- I didn't have anyone to teach me to cook until I met my husband and 28+ years ago there was no WWW or You Tube lol or Food Network for that matter LOL so I tend to think about the youngins out there that are just starting out and what they need to get through a recipe... so wuumppp there it is lol




looks like a pretty butterfly 8-) smile

This recipe was featured at 
Totally Transformed
Linking to


FRIDAY

SUNDAY



15 comments:

  1. This looks delicious and healthy! I'd love if you could link up to THURSDAY FOOD FEST at http://www.theeaseoffreeze.com. I open on Wed at 7pm. I hope to see you there! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah I will try and come by next week the collection is closed already
    Have a great week
    RaNae

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sure looks good! And I bet it is a healthy dish... I need to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming by and leaving a sweet comment Jean I always enjoy your messages.
      RaNae

      Delete
  4. Ahhhhh This looks so so good. I wish I could cook. I think this is way out of my league!! But its nice to dream!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So that is why you look so fabulous u don't cook much- gee I was doomed from the beginning I come from a long line of great Italian woman who cooked fabulously- too bad I never stood at their feet to really learn their tricks- I was more into my own teenage thing back then. I have to say it was my husband and the food network chefs that taught me.
      Thanks for stopping by Tami
      RaNae

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Hey there Fringe thanks for coming by love the last trip pictures from Monday so awesome left u a message there.
      RaNae

      Delete
  6. Another great looking recipe RaNae! Thanks for linking up at Doodles & Stitches :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh this looks so good, if only I could take a bite right now! Your sure come up with some great recipes! I am such a big squash lover so this really sounds like a winner! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Cathy glad this appeals to you.
    RaNae

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks absolutely DELICIOUS
    I love the combination of ingredients that you usee
    Wonderful dish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Winnie I have been craving it again lol soo good
      RaNae

      Delete
  10. That looks amazing! So glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by I appreciate the visit and love to hear your thoughts. I hope u have a great day.
RaNae from
Ewe Creek Cottage